Thursday, September 26, 2013

None But Ourselves




I love it when I have the house all to myself, & it's just me and my kitty. It's when I have this space to myself that I get inspired to do laundry or make a crazy cool mural on my wall. When someone is telling me what to do ... I just don't want to do it.

____________________8______________________

The supreme good is like water,
Which nourishes all things without trying to.
It is content with the low places that people disdain.
Thus it is like the Tao.

In dwelling, live close to the ground.
In thinking, keep to the simple.
In conflict, be fair and generous.
In governing, don't try to control.
In work, do what you enjoy.
In family life, be completely present.

When you are content to be simply yourself
and don't compare or compete,
everybody will respect you.

Verse 8, Tao Te Ching

_____________________________________________

I feel like this verse from the Dao particularly applies to my life up till this point. That has been my biggest weakness all along: comparing myself to others.

Like that was my problem in New York. I was more concerned & obsessed with other people's lives and accomplishments that the only time I left for myself was filled throwing a pity party. Grosss.

I remember this one time back on the east coast where I hadn't seen or spoken to my very best girlfriend, Luna, for two weeks. These two weeks hadn't been the best for me and I was angry with her for being absent during them. I marched over to her dorm ready to tell her off for being a bad friend & everything. When I told her that it had hurt me that I had been struggling with some overwhelming emotions and she wasn't around for support, she said, "I didn't realize you depended on me so much."

I was kinda taken a back. Not really the response I had been expecting, certainly not the one I would have given at the time, but you know what, there was truth behind Luna's words.

Why don't we depend on ourselves more? We are all equipped with the tools & life skills to make ourselves happy. Sometimes it just takes a little momentum, but creating/building that momentum is a positive action because we know those steps will lead to happiness. We need none others but ourselves to achieve joyful bliss.

Being in the company of others should increase good vibrations, not replace them.

Besides family, people will come and go for various reasons. Sometimes even family, actually. Your life is an open doorway that leads to other agents to come into your life & vice versa, yet ultimately you are the one who shapes your path. 

You will see through what you want to. 

xx hugs & lovin' xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment