Monday, September 16, 2013

Karma's Little Accidents

So this morning, I ate shit.

Let me rephrase that: as I was biking to work on this beautiful Monday morning, my chain slipped off as I was pedaling furiously, I lost control of the bike, and smacked my head (along with other bits) straight upon the pavement ending in a twisted heap with metal and limbs intertwined. 

Besides being shaken up & slightly embarrassed for the dad taking his daughter to daycare who stopped to peel me off the road, I'm thankfully all right.

What can I say. Shit happens.

Biking has been a big release for me since I've returned home. It's taking a good scuffing up for me to realize that I've been quite lucky to not have been in any sort of accident before now, with the amount of biking I do. Because after a Friday night of cattiness & craziness, it feels oh-so-good to wake up Saturday morning, jump on my cruiser, and hit the beach. So satisfying.

Karma, as defined by Merriam-Webster via online, reads as the following:

1. the force generated by a person's actions held in Hinduism and Buddhism to perpetuate transmigration and in it's ethical consequences to determine the nature of the person's next existence
                                                                      and/or

2. the force created by a person's actions that some people believe causes good or bad things to happen to that person


I believe that me almost ending up sportin' an eye patch as my new accessory, has something to do with that second bit. 

Why? Well, let's just say it's quick easy to be vain and egotistical when Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and texting bombard your every day life. I love it, I hate it,  whatever = I'm a part of this generation. It's inevitable that this culture will consume me.

Yet it's kinda scary thinking that my first thought this morning to start my week off was to catch an ultra-cool snapshot of me doing a challenging yoga pose at the studio. Then posting it to Instagram, and making everyone jealous because they can't do/wish they could do what I'm doing.

Whaaaaaaat.

When did our thinking come to this? Even in the days of MySpace we had a little more discrepancy. Didn't we?

Or maybe it's always been this bad and I'm just realizing it.

So to conclude, I'd like to share a new routine of mine, beginning today. I was inspired by Dr. Wayne Dyer's Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life CD Audio Set initially, and then other events in my life just kept pointing me towards this little book: The Tao Te Ching.

Every morning I'm going to read a passage, say it aloud, affirm it.... & attempt to put that passage into practice for the day. Also, besides this blog, I'm taking a little sabbatical from Facebook, Instagram ... all that crap. Selfie's + Stiches? Uh, no thanks.

Hopefully this exercise will humble me a bit more, and make me sense the appreciativeness one can have for one's own being. Loving oneself is first and foremost, one of our main priorities in life I think.

____________1_____________

The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao.
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things.

Free from desire, you realize the mystery.
Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations.

Yet mystery and manifestations
arise from the same source.
This source is called darkness.

Darkness within darkness.
The gateway to all understanding.

______________________________

xx hugs & luvin' xx 

       Anna



0 comments:

Post a Comment